Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Monday, 20 June 2016

Courage & Blogger Ambition


It's been four months, and somehow I am back.

I have been embarrassed to have my last post Headache as the prominent post of my blog for so long. But that embarrassment was fleeting feeling because I was suddenly so tired of feeling ashamed or unworthy, or confused about whether or not I have the authority to post my own point of view on my own blog.

Every so often, I have to rediscover myself and my motivations. Ergo, here I am.


Courage

It's taken months to gather the courage to post.

I have about a hundred draft posts sitting in Blogger, but for the first three months I couldn't even log in to my account. I was paralysed, petrified. Stone.

I didn't write for my blog, and I didn't read any other blogs. I was completely disconnected and that allowed me to breathe, reset my mindset, and reconnect. I started to miss the blogging world - typical. I started to get back into the swing of reading. I started drawing like crazy, too. I reformed my opinions on old topics and forged opinions on new ones. I suddenly had something to talk about again. I suddenly didn't feel worthless with my blog, a physical product of my mental efforts. I thought of my blog more and more often. I finally plucked up the courage to log in. But I didn't write anything.

Remember Karalan's Legacy?

Zuri has finished writing her book, and it'll be published any day now. That made me think more and more about my own novel, about my silent and raging Karalan waiting for me. She wants her story to be finished, and for the love of God, so do I.

Right now, I am supposed to be clearing my room. I am supposed to be booking a holiday to somewhere far away from this beloved crudbucket. To be washing my hair, which will make my arms ache once my dreads are full of water. To be stretching out my painful muscles. To be doing something else, a whole list of Something Else's. Instead, for some reason, I sat down at wrote this post in eight minutes.

I'm ecstatic. I'm back.


Blogger Ambition

Blogging stopped being fun.

Do you know Paper Fury? Its creator, Cait, is one of the most incredible bloggers I have ever come across. She dwarfs the blogosphere with her unwavering passion and dedication to books - she read 300 books last year. I'm not joking, see her Goodreads.

Why am I saying this?

At some point along the way, I started to feel as though what I was doing was enough. At first it was fine - it just showed that I cared. But then I started to lose my soul - constantly trying to manage a post schedule and make my content engaging and to free, blogs hops, giveaways, tags, blogger awards, sweet but superficial things, trying to boost views, trying to boost comments, trying to churn out three posts a week, trying to cover all of subjects this blog covers - novels, films, comics, games, cartoons, anime, manga and artwork - to review every book I read on the same day; I was cracking under the strain that I put on myself.

The good news is that I pulled back, but the bad news is by the time I got there, I stopped caring about blogging.

Blogging is always the best at the beginning, before the feeling of inadequacy creeps and and you feel like you have to give so much just to stand on the same level as your peers.



Ashana Lian .


Guess what? I finally made a Facebook page.
You can guess what it's called, right?
 
*
 

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're back, Ashana! I myself felt the need to just disengage with the Internet for a while, so I deleted my entire blog, forged a new identity, and now I'm back! It's okay to need some space, and sometimes it's good to just get away. I'm glad you're in a better headspace right now, I really am, and I look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello you! =D What was your original blog called? If it's the one I think is is, I have been looking for it for ages! So sad that you deleted it =( But get that sometimes a fresh start is needed. Thank you for being part of my fresh start.

      Delete
    2. My original blog was called Open Your Eyes and See, and I recently saw that you followed my new blog! Thank you so much, you don't know how much this means to me because I really love your blog and....AAHHHHH! Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Heyyyy I was looking for that blog! >=( (Would you prefer Sunset or Cindy, btw?) =] But it is always exciting to start a new blog. I hope its more fun than the last. =D

      Delete
    4. Thanks, and I'm really excited to start this new chapter of my blog-life (is that even a word? Ah well). And I'd prefer Sunset, if you don't mind: it signifies this new identity of mine <3

      Delete
  2. I look forward to everything you have to offer in the future Ashana. Keep striving x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sings* Mawaaa! Hey lovely girl. I will keep striving indeed. :)

      Delete
  3. Ashana, what you need to remember is that your blog is private. It's separate from anyone elses, and is all your own! You need to do what you enjoy and what YOU think is good enough, and not measure by anyone's standards. It's easy to compare yourself when it comes to your blog, but you need to do you and be strong individually <3 Glad to have you back, girl x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've learnt that now. But it's was bizarre (and a bit disturbing) to look back and realise how fast and how intensely I got caught up in that hype. Good to hear from you, Olivia-Savannah!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! And I look forward to seeing what you say as you get back into the swing of things. You are so far from inadequate! Thanks for the new update. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, I appreciate that! Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! I was worried about you (and then I dropped out of the commenting side of the blogosphere myself, so that's why I'm late to the party now). Thank you for being brave enough to say this. It's so hard not to compare myself to other bloggers who are doing better, and it's hard not to put undue strain on myself to the point where I start to crack, and I'm sorry that you ended up doing this to yourself, but I'm glad that you are doing better now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts