Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Saturday, 25 June 2016

Announcements



New Blog Name

When I began this blog, I had NO IDEA what to call it. I figured an accurate, descriptive name was better than a flashy name that gave no indication as to what the blog was about. 'Ashana Lian - A Fantasy Writer's Blog' was just that and for three years, that was that.

Now, looking back, I can see my main focus with this blog was to analyse the fantasy material already out there, to explore and intercept it. Without claiming to know all the facts, this blog was more experimental than authoritative. Now I know it’s true name.

Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab

... which (after years of trying to come up with the right title,) is the name that won out over Grand Fantasy, Fantasy Scholar, Fantasy Mad, Defiant Fantasy, and an additional two dozen potential names I wrote down in my notebook. Thinking about it, I'm pretty chuffed that I didn't even use a name generator.


Facebook Page

I picked up my pencil again in 2014 and my collection of artwork has grown since. To my surprise, my difficulty with getting myself to draw (“artist’s block” I guess) was far more foreboding than my writer's block. Still, looking at the last few years in isolation, I have more to show for my art journey than my author journey. So I created a Facebook page, very obviously titled:

Ashana Lian

... with the tag ‘artist’, because it wouldn’t let me put ‘writer, blogger and artist’. I guess they don’t want you to be an overachiever – duly noted.


Jade Rose Project

Jade Rose is the only project, and character, that means more to me than Karalan. If it's ever finished I'm sure it'll be my uncelebrated magnum opus or something. Jade Rose is my whole world, and her symbolism is so complex and personal that I couldn’t explain it on this blog(!!).

jaderoseproject.wordpress.com

... join the fun.


 |  | 

Challenges Disbanded

As I stated in my previous post about blogger ambition, I took on more than I should have with this blog as I was surrounded by so many brilliant memes and tags and challenges and blog hops and giveaway events and anniversaries.

I created three challenges. Great ideas, but it was driven by the feeling that I should do more to encourage bookish communities in the blogosphere and I had no real vision for it. Naturally, they lasted something like four months...? Not even the whole year. So, to all of those challenge champions, thank you for testing the waters with me. It was fun while it lasted.


Review Posts (?!)

I’m reading again!

More importantly, I’m finally getting round to reading the books I bought two years ago  O_O  at Fantasy In The Court and the Grim Gathering. I may actually post a few reviews this year! Or... not. I dunno. I'm not pushing myself this time.

Still, I have a lot to say. There were some books I particularly loved and also books I particularly, specifically DID NOT LOVE AT ALL. I recently read:


Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (Fantasy)
I rated 2/5. Not for me.

Peaks and Valleys by Spencer Johnson (Non-fiction, self-help)
I rated 5/5. Brilliant.

The Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin
I rated 5/5! Amazing!

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
If only I could give 6/5. This was phenomenal.

Red Dust Road by Jackie Kay
I rated 5/5. This was part of a reading group for uni, and this book was deep for me. DEEP.

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
I feel so bad because I met her at Fantasy In The Court. But.. I rated 2/5.



Until next time.

Ashana Lian .


10 comments:

  1. I noticed that you changed your name, and I have to admit that I really like this one! It makes me think of some mad scientist in a laboratory holding a vial of glowing liquid and laughing like a maniac shouting "Eureka! This is fantasy!"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I see that in my mind's eye as well! Took me a long while to think of this one, so I'm glad I can finally settle on something.

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of those changes and I am looking forward to seeing all the posts that will come around about them! I'm especially interested in those upcoming possible review posts, being the bookworm that I am! You've been doing a lot of reading lately ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you! c: I'm looking forward to them as well. And that fills me with relief because it's been ages since I've had even the slightest bit of interest in my blog. It's good to be baaack =D

      Delete
  3. Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab sounds incredible. I'm so looking forward to hearing more about the Jade Rose project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JR is my GEM. I can't wait to tell you more about her! =D As always, thanks for your support.

      Delete
  4. I love your new name change! I think it's great that you're creating a focus for your blog, and I look forward to seeing what you post on your new Facebook page! Also, I know nothing of those books. D: *shame*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! One things I'm trying to focus on is not stressing myself out too much. Ideally I'd like to have posted here again over the weekend; I started to fret about it and had to rein it in. The Facebook page, however, should have more attention than I'm giving it O_O
      I've been away from the blogosphere for a while, so I don't recognise too many of the books anymore either!

      Delete
    2. That's a good focus to have. You are more important than your blog, so I'm glad you're making conscious decisions to stay in a good place for you. :)

      By the way, if you have time or anything, I tagged you for a thing, in case you're interested! http://semilegacy.blogspot.com/2016/07/bookshelf-tag-ii.html

      Delete
  5. I love your new blog name! :) And I'm excited to see you blogging again. :) (No pressure, though.)
    I'm glad you've been able to cut back on some of the things that were stressing you out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts